leapingdog

"unexpected error; quitting" on Windows 7 target machine

After successfully installing my program on a clean Windows 7 target machine, I encounter an error "unexpected error; quitting" when trying to open the newly installed program for the first time (see Fig 1).

The "unexpected error; quitting" message is only eliminated after I open the newly installed program after right clicking the "run as administrator" option. After selecting "run as administrator" a second message box pops up (see Fig 2). If I select within the second message box the link "change when these notifications appear", then a third message box opens up (see Fig 3). Within the third message box I can select "never notify", and in so doing, will eliminate the "unexpected error; quitting" message when opening the newly installed software for the first time.

Also, if I click "Yes" within the second message box (Fig 2), then the newly installed program will open up without an error.

After the newly installed program is successfully opened without an error, then it will subsequently open without errors.

My question is, how can Advanced Installer be configured so that the "unexpected error; quitting" message is never shown? I am concerned because this error is will not look good when our customer installs our software.

Note: this problem is not encountered when installing the same installer package on an XP target machine.

Thanks,

Jon
Attachments
Fig. 3
Fig. 3
Fig3.jpg (52.19 KiB) Viewed 19802 times
Fig 2
Fig 2
Fig2.jpg (28.79 KiB) Viewed 19802 times
Fig 1
Fig 1
Fig1.jpg (10.42 KiB) Viewed 19802 times
Bogdan

Re: "unexpected error; quitting" on Windows 7 target machine

Hi,

This problem appears because your main EXE file, the one of your application does not have a manifest file associated with it.

Starting with Vista OS Microsoft has introduced some new security techniques that prevent unauthorized programs to run. To correctly identify your EXE file you must create a manifest file,
as specified in the following documentation presented by Microsoft.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”