MattFielder

trouble with upgrade

Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:00 am

In my installer, I am having two issues when running against a machine with a previously installed version.

First, both the old and new version show in control panel. The upgrade code for the old version and hte new version match. I have regenerated the product code.

Second (and likely related to the first) --
I have a custom UI dialog that should only display if upgrading a previous installation. I have a "show only if" condition of (UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE). The dialog doesn't show no matter what.

I do have a third issue that isnt' applicable to this install, but will be for future installs. I'll need to know the version being upgraded.

mihai.petcu

Re: trouble with upgrade

Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:54 am

Hello Matt,

I have to ask, since we seem to be getting a lot of this lately. Have you followed the recommended steps from our user guide when authoring your upgrades?
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... rades.html
I have a "show only if" condition of (UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE). The dialog doesn't show no matter what.
UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE - this property is set in the MSI which is being upgraded if the package is uninstalled by a newer version.

If you're looking to show a dialog in the upgrading package, then you need to use:
OLDPRODUCTS - this property is set in the upgrading MSI if the package found an older version installed on the target machine.
I'll need to know the version being upgraded.
Here's a forum discussion to help you with this:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... 590#p46765

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

MattFielder

Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks for your responses - that got me everything I need.

Regarding upgrades showing in control panel twice: The critical piece of information that I didn't about know is in the Upgrade Page help file you linked to: "A per-user installation cannot upgrade a per-machine installation and a per-machine installation cannot upgrade a per-user installation."

In my case - the original install was a per user. This is an upgraded project from the visual studio setup project. In the upgraded project, the option on the Install Parameters page of "installation type" was "per machine if administrator, per user otherwise". Because I'm testing the installation on an XP machine before testing on a Win7, the logged in user is administrator my default.

Changing the value to "per user only" fixed the issue. I honestly don't know if the upgraded setup package set the value in the drop down, or if I changed it myself.

There is no inication in the UI that I can see that per user and per machine upgrades can't mix. Maybe some kind of note in the UI on eitehr the Product ID's tab, or the "upgrades" view would help future users.

mihai.petcu

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:46 am

Hello,

Glad everything was sorted out.
Maybe some kind of note in the UI on eitehr the Product ID's tab, or the "upgrades" view would help future users.
Thank you for your suggestion, we'll consider including this in a future version.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”