den

Altering complete package

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Hello,
I'm using Advanced Installer 8.9 to create standalone packages with bootstrapper and all installation files packed inside with LZMA compression. We have a reseller who want to redistribute our software, but he wants to change installation package (actually change some of appearance elements). Change can be achieved by applying transform to MSI database and repackaging some resources in binaries.

Questions:
Is there any way for me to disassemble completed package (to get actual msi-file and installation binary files), modify them as needed and then assemble back into altered installation package, which can be redistributed by reseller? Can you figure any alternative solution for my problem? Maybe you have some feature planned in one of the upcoming releases which can help me?

Best regards,
Den.

Cosmin

Re: Altering complete package

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:02 am

Hi Den,

Currently this can be done only before generating the MSI, by creating separate builds in Media page. You can then set different elements for each build.

However, we are thinking about implementing some kind of tool which can be used to modify already generated installers. Can you please give me more details about what you would need? What about the digital signature? Modifying the installer corrupts the signature and the package would need to be signed again (if it was signed initially).

You can send me an email at support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can discuss all aspects.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

den

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:55 am

Hello Cosmin,

After a series of talks with reseller, we finally decided to abandon the idea (mainly because of large amount of work required from us).
But I think such tool will be useful anyway. My plan was to create some automation script to do following:
1. "Unpack" (in quotes because I haven't actually found any way to do that properly) standalone .exe to get installation files and .msi database.
2. Apply transform to .msi database (.mst-file) via MsiTran.exe (that can change a lot - properties, binary data etc).
3. Change resources embedded in main .exe (a couple of images), which will be installed.
4. Re-sign .msi and main .exe.
5. "Re-pack" installation files and .msi to create bootstrapper again.
6. Sign newly created bootstrapper.
7. Done.

Best regards,
Den.

den

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:28 am

Hello again,

What you have decided on this issue?

Regards,
Den.

Cosmin

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 pm

Hi Den,

This feature was added on our TODO list and it will be available in a future version. Thank you for your suggestion.

Regards,
Cosmin

den

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:43 am

Hi, Cosmin,

Thank you, it will be a very useful feature.

Best regards,
Den.

den

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:12 pm

Hi, Cosmin,

Could you please name the approximate date of the release with this feature? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Den.

Cosmin

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:52 am

Hi Den,

I'm afraid we cannot offer an ETA for now.

Regards,
Cosmin

den

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:25 am

Hi, Cosmin,

If so please let me know when this feature will be scheduled for a particular release.

Best regards,
Den.

Return to “Feature Requests”