v.rooijen

SharePoint installation dialog

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:56 am

Hello,

I'm evaluating your product and am mainly interrested in the SharePoint deployment functionality.
When I create an test application, run it and see the SharePoint dialog, where you can select your websites, I see three sites (Default Web Site, SharePoint - 80, SharePoint Central Administration v3)
The website "Default Web Site" is an IIS website (stopped), but not a SharePoint site, it should not be listed here.

Also I would like to force the client to install the feature to central administration, Is there a way to achieve this? (it would be nice if this was checked, but not shown)

Thank you

mihai.petcu

Re: SharePoint installation dialog

Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Thank for your interest in Advanced Installer and for taking the time to evaluate it.
The website "Default Web Site" is an IIS website (stopped), but not a SharePoint site, it should not be listed here.
Currently, the feature supports browsing only IIS websites. We already have showing only Sharepoint sites on our TODO list.
Also I would like to force the client to install the feature to central administration, Is there a way to achieve this? (it would be nice if this was checked, but not shown)
To force central administration you can condition BrowseIISWebsitesDlg and set AI_WSP_URL property to the site URL you need.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

v.rooijen

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:52 am

Dear Mihai,

Thank you for the reply.
When is the "showing only Sharepoint sites" TODO item planned for implementation?
What will happen when I (or a client) select a non-SharePoint site for deployment?

You told me to set a condition on the BrowseIISWebsitesDlg and set AI_WSP_URL property to the site URL I need.
The problem is, for every client, the port number Central Administration is installed on may differ.

v.rooijen

Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:21 pm

And another question about SharePoint installation.
1) How do I deploy a solution specially for SharePoint 2007 and when 2010 is installed, take another solution to deploy? (just minor differences in like the actions.xml file)

2) Also, when adding sharepoint as launch condition, the application tells you: cannot be installed on systems without Microsoft SharePoint Services 3.0
This is confusing, because the client now suspects WSS needs to be installed, the possible installations are:

Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (WSS 3.0)
Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (MOSS 2007)
Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010
Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010

3) How can I install a SQL database only on one specific feature?
I have three features in the setup.
MainFeature, containing product information (I presume this is required for deinstallation, so I set this to "always install")
FrontEnd, containing the sharepoint solutions
ApplicationServices, containing windows services (and only here should be the database installation).

4) Quite important to me: I would like to give the users the possibility to "Add or change features", when they choose this, they should be able to check and uncheck websites to deploy the SharePoint solution to.
So the Browse IIS dialog should also be available with the "Maintainance" package and sites, where the feature is already installed to, should be checked, so they can uncheck it.

Also I cannot figureout how to select all IIS websites in the dialog by default

Cosmin

Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi,
When is the "showing only Sharepoint sites" TODO item planned for implementation?
It's currently scheduled for version 9.5.
What will happen when I (or a client) select a non-SharePoint site for deployment?
The solution will be registered as deployed for that site in Central Administration.
You told me to set a condition on the BrowseIISWebsitesDlg and set AI_WSP_URL property to the site URL I need.
The problem is, for every client, the port number Central Administration is installed on may differ.
A different approach is to remove the site browsing dialog and create a custom dialog which asks the user for the target site. For example, you can use an edit box control which uses AI_WSP_URL property.
How do I deploy a solution specially for SharePoint 2007 and when 2010 is installed, take another solution to deploy?
You can use searches to determine the SharePoint version. The search properties can then be used to condition the solution features in Organization page.
Also, when adding sharepoint as launch condition, the application tells you: cannot be installed on systems without Microsoft SharePoint Services 3.0
This is caused by a bug. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. A bugfix will be included in the next release. Until then, a solution is to create your own custom launch condition.
How can I install a SQL database only on one specific feature?
If you are using a database file, you can condition its component in Organization page. If you are creating it through an SQL script, you can condition the actual script in SQL Scripts page.
I would like to give the users the possibility to "Add or change features", when they choose this, they should be able to check and uncheck websites to deploy the SharePoint solution to.
Currently this is not supported. A solution can be deployed during maintenance, but it's target sites cannot be changed if it was deployed during install. I have added this improvement on our TODO list and it will be available in a future version. Thank you for your suggestion.
Also I cannot figureout how to select all IIS websites in the dialog by default
You can try this:
- select BrowseIISWebsitesDlg dialog and go to Init Events tab
- add a SetProperty control event which looks like this:

Code: Select all

Name: [IISBrowseListBox]
Argument: [IISBrowseOutput]
- rebuild your package

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

v.rooijen

Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:53 pm

Thank you so much for the reply, this gives me great comfort.
I go and try to implement all of these in my installer, I will come back to you later!

Return to “Common Problems”