brian

Can't get Serial Number from registry

Hello. I'm trying to get the serial number from the registry *during an update* by using a Custom Behavior - registry search (call it PID_PROPERTY). I have found the serial number by doing a manual search in the registry, it is located at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\[GUID]\InstallProperties\, under the value ProductID.

If I set my PID_PROPERTY to hard code the GUID that's in the registry, it finds it no problem. But I can't do this because it seems like the GUID changes from version to version. And the odd thing is, the GUID that's currently showing in the registry, I have no idea where it has come from. It doesn't match our upgrade code or our product code... Any idea on if there's a property that stores this value?

Thanks,
Brian
mihai.petcu

Re: Can't get Serial Number from registry

Hi Brian,

If you can't find an "easy to reach" registry location that stores the serial number, you can create your own entry during the initial installation.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
brian

Thanks for your prompt response, great suggestion, I will do this (store it in the registry so I can retrieve it later).

May I suggest a feature to put this in place? My main goal is to not have our end-users re-enter their serial number upon updating, of which this is a small part, would be nice if there was a checkbox somewhere.

Great work with Advanced Installer, we LOVE it.

Brian
mihai.petcu

Hi Brian,

Adding that registry entry from the Registry page is not that difficult. It requires just a few extra steps in comparison to checking a predefined option.
Nonetheless, we'll consider your suggestion for adding an option that automatically does it. Since yours is the only request, implementing it has very very low priority.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”