jezcooke

Error 1606. Could not access network location

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:11 am

Hi, we've started rolling out a beta version of our software to some of our users, the majority install fine but a few fail to install. I managed to get one user to create the log file and the part containing an error is shown below:

Code: Select all

MSI (s) (40:50) [13:30:57:953]: Note: 1: 1314 2:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\スタート メニュー\プログラム\MyProduct
MSI (s) (40:50) [13:30:57:953]: Note: 1: 1606 2:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\スタート メニュー\プログラム\MyProduct 
Action start 13:30:57: CostFinalize.
MSI (s) (40:50) [13:30:57:953]: Product: MyProduct -- Error 1606. Could not access network location  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\スタート メニュー\プログラム\MyProduct.

MSI (s) (40:50) [13:30:57:968]: Note: 1: 1606 2:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\スタート メニュー\プログラム\MyProduct 
Error 1606. Could not access network location  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\スタート メニュー\プログラム\MyProduct.
MSI (s) (40:50) [13:30:57:968]: Product: MyProduct -- Error 1606. Could not access network location  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\スタート メニュー\プログラム\MyProduct.

Error 1606. Could not access network location  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\スタート メニュー\プログラム\MyProduct.
Action ended 13:30:57: CostFinalize. Return value 3.
Action ended 13:30:57: INSTALL. Return value 3.
This machine was running Japanese Windows XP but I've also heard that it occurred on English versions of the OS (although I don't have any other logs to confirm that the error is definitely the same). The path would translate to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\MyProduct so seems to be failing while creating the start menu shortcut.

I can send the rest of the log file if it is helpful and/or the AIP file (actually you should already have the AIP file as I sent it to you re: http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... =2&t=21110). The current version is built with 9.3 but earlier builds also experienced problems and those would have been built with 9.2 (or possible earlier still).

I found this support article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549 and will ask the user to try it but since a number of our users seem to have problems I think there may be an issue with the package itself.

mihai.petcu

Re: Error 1606. Could not access network location

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Hello,

Does that exact location exist on the machines you're testing the package on? If so, does the behavior manifest on similar clean machines or is it sporadic?

That location seems to be indicating the ProgramMenuFolder which is resolved as described in the link and also should be localized by Windows Installer. Are you using that location from the Files and Folder page or can you please share more details?

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

jezcooke

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:09 pm

Hi, sorry for the delay I was waiting on a reply from my colleagues.

I'm using the 'Application Shortcut Folder' section (rather than ProgramMenuFolder) on the 'Files and Folders' screen to create the start menu shortcuts, is there any reason to use one over the other?

I noticed the following in the release notes for 9.4 that appeared today:
"Application Shortcut Folder" path was not resolved correctly on Chinese Simplified Windows XP machines
Now in my case this is Japanese Windows XP rather than Chinese but perhaps it could still be related to this issue? Just in case I've sent my colleagues a build made with 9.4 to see if it helps.

Jez

jezcooke

Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:38 pm

Just to conclude this thread, my colleagues confirmed that the setup built with 9.4 worked fine so this seems to have been the solution.

Return to “Common Problems”