brian

New Windows 8 Requirement to Delete all Files on Uninstall

There's been a change in the logo compliance requirements from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Windows 7 used to let you leave some files around but Windows 8 doesn't. This is a big problem for us because we leave connection string xml files as permanent during an upgrade (which is essentially and uninstall and reinstall). Because of this new requirement for Windows 8, our app now fails Windows 8 ACK (App Certification Kit) testing.

The details are here, first line in the requirements list for Desktop App:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx

What I need to know is if it's possible to leave a file during upgrade, but have it removed during uninstall? I looked in the component properties for our Xml file and don't see anything. Without this ability we cannot get certified.

Thanks,
Brian
mihai.petcu

Re: New Windows 8 Requirement to Delete all Files on Uninsta

Hi Brian,
What I need to know is if it's possible to leave a file during upgrade, but have it removed during uninstall?
You can use the file's context menu -> Properties -> Operations tab and set a condition for the .XML. Something like:

Code: Select all

REMOVE="ALL" AND (NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE)
All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
brian

Thanks Mihai. Not sure I'm following this one though, the Operations tab only displays "Overwrite Behavior". I'm not wanting to overwrite the file, I'm wanting to uninstall it during uninstall, but leave it during an upgrade.

Brian
mihai.petcu

Hi Brian,

That option helps you preserve the file content according to the condition. You can find more related information in the How do I prevent a file or registry entry from being uninstalled or repaired? user guide article.

Let us know how it turns out.

All the best,
Mihai
brian

I'm not wanting to preserve the file, I want to delete it. Can you read my original post again?
mihai.petcu

Hi Brian,
What I need to know is if it's possible to leave a file during upgrade, but have it removed during uninstall?
So you need to preserve the file during upgrade but remove it during a regular uninstall. I posted my first reply with the exact opposite condition, sorry about that.

Let me clarify :arrow:
  • If you set the following condition for a file in its Operations Tab it will be preserved during uninstall but not during upgrade:

REMOVE="ALL" AND (NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE)
  • If you set the following condition in the same tab, it will be deleted during uninstall but preserved during upgrade:

UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE
The UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE property is set in the MSI which is being upgraded if the package is uninstalled by a newer version.

Let us know if you have any questions.

All the best,
Mihai

Return to “Common Problems”