apexnc

Using TestODBCConnection - can't find 64 bit ODBC driver

Wed May 15, 2013 8:26 pm

I am trying to use TestODBCConnection to determine whether database login credentials entered by a user are valid.

Following the guide at http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... ction.html I am attempting to connect to an Oracle server. However, the machine I am deploying on does not have a valid ODBC driver installed for "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle". I do have however Orcale 11g instantclient (64 bit version) already installed on the machine. It seems desirable to use an Oracle made driver anyway since the use of "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle" (msorcl32) is not supported anymore and it is recommended to use an Oracle made ODBC driver.

When I try to use the Oracle driver in my connection string however, it does not seem to find it when using TestODBCConnection. The Connection string I use is:

Driver=[\{]Oracle in instantclient_11_2[\}];Server=......

I see Oracle in instantclient_11_2 in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI

However, TestODBCConnection only seems to find the drivers located in the 32 bit registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI

Is there a way to have the 64 bit drivers recognized by TestODBCConnection?

Daniel

Re: Using TestODBCConnection - can't find 64 bit ODBC driver

Fri May 17, 2013 2:24 pm

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

I'm afraid this is our default behavior. This happens because our "TestODBCConnection" custom action is a 32-bit module, therefore (as you already noticed) it can see only 32-bit ODBC drivers. So, in order to achieve what you want you can try to install a 32-bit ODBC driver on target machine.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

apexnc

Fri May 17, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks for the reply Daniel.

Is there any other workaround other than installing a 32-bit ODBC driver? I really don't want to install another ODBC driver just for this test connection when there is an ODBC driver that already is installed on the machine. I don't think a custom action that would run a custom script that tests the connection would work at this point either since the custom script wouldn't be installed on the target machine yet at this point in the installation if my understanding is correct.

Are there any plans to support a 64-bit compatible TestODBCConnection in the future? Also, the the ODBC Driver drop down list for Predefined Connections in SQL Scripts only detects 32-bit drivers also, so wondering if 64-bit drivers will be supported there also.

Daniel

Wed May 22, 2013 8:18 am

Hello,

I apologize for the delayed response, we are quite busy at the moment.
Is there any other workaround other than installing a 32-bit ODBC driver? I really don't want to install another ODBC driver just for this test connection when there is an ODBC driver that already is installed on the machine. I don't think a custom action that would run a custom script that tests the connection would work at this point either since the custom script wouldn't be installed on the target machine yet at this point in the installation if my understanding is correct.
In order to achieve this using your own custom action you can add your custom script to your project as a temporary file. Then you can "Execute custom action on button push".
Are there any plans to support a 64-bit compatible TestODBCConnection in the future? Also, the the ODBC Driver drop down list for Predefined Connections in SQL Scripts only detects 32-bit drivers also, so wondering if 64-bit drivers will be supported there also.
Thank you for your suggestion. Maybe we'll consider this improvement in a future version of Advanced Installer, but unfortunately for the moment there are not immediate plans. Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

Catalin

Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:25 pm

Hello,

This improvement has been added in version 17.2 of Advanced Installer, released on June 30th, 2020.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”