MattFielder

Update references in .Net project

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:05 pm

I am working with a .Net setup project that I need to update the references. I use a set of third party controls in the development, and when they issue an update, it will change quite a number of references in my solution. (This is the DevExpress set of controls)

Is there a way to have Advances Installer scan and update what the refernces in the solution are so the right version of the controls libraries get installed?

If it matters, the installer project is not part of my visual studio solution. If it's necessary to make it one to get this to work, I'll need instructions for how to do that.

Daniel

Re: Update references in .Net project

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:30 pm

Hello,

I'm afraid I don't fully understand what you want to achieve. Can you please give us more details about your scenario (maybe exemplify)? Also, can you send us your .AIP (project file) to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it?

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

MattFielder

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:20 pm

I have an installer project that builds an application written in Visual Studio, but the installer is not integrated to visual studio - i run it seperately. The way the installer was created originally was to migrate a deployment project.

Now that I have released that version, I want to release an update to it. Let's suppose I use a new referenced dll in the applicaton. The installer project already knows what files to include - the ones that it included with the last install. What it doesn't know is there is a new requirement to include the new referenced dll.

How do I get AI to scan the project and determine what references have changed? Both new referneces and changed existing references. There is also the possibility of removed, no longer needed references.

Daniel

Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:10 am

Hello,

In order to add new dependencies to your application you can use the [Add Dependencies] toolbar button or the corresponding context menu item.
How do I get AI to scan the project and determine what references have changed? Both new referneces and changed existing references. There is also the possibility of removed, no longer needed references.
I'm afraid we don't have support for this. You cannot check the references versions. Also, in order to remove the no longer needed references you should manually delete them.

All the best,
Daniel

galletto

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:36 am

Hi,

I'm looking for the "add dependencies"feature, but the context menu item is greyed out. Where can I use this feature?

Thanks,

Will de Haan

Daniel

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Hello Will and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

Please keep in mind that our "EXE/DLL dependency detector" feature is available only in a "Professional" or higher project type. In order to use it you can create a "Professional" project type or you can upgrade your project type from "Home -> Options -> Project Type" tab.

If you have any questions let us know.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Common Problems”