MattFielder

Signed Installer is reporting as unknown publisher

Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:20 am

I have an installer project that I’ve been using for years. The installer is configured to sign a package with a code signing cert.

I just found that a couple of months ago, when installing windows warns it’s from an unknown publisher. What's further odd about it, when looking at the properties of the signed file - it shows the signature. Its' just the MS dialog that pops up and says it's from an unknown publisher.

I set up a brand new test installer routine and tested with the same code signing cert, and with the new routine it works fine.

It’s a fairly complicated install project, I do not want to have to recreate it.

I have also sent a direct email to "support at advanced installer dot com" and included both aip files from the above mentioned products. I can provide more details that may be of help.

One thing I forgot to mention in the email - the code signing cert that I had been using expired, so I purchased a new one and that is when things started not working as expected. My quick and dirty new test project does use the new certificate and it works as expected. Both projects use the cert in the same way - set to pull it from the local certificate store.

Any help would be greatly needed. Obviously this is a blocking issue to deploying a new patch.

Daniel

Re: Signed Installer is reporting as unknown publisher

Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:01 pm

Hello Matt,

I'm not sure this is the case, but sometimes this happens when you leave empty the "Description" field from "Digitally Signature" page. So, can you please fill in the "Description" field from "Digitally Signature" page, rebuild your project and test again the installation?

Let us know if this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”