AndreG

Silent software updates

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:59 pm

Greetings, I've been trying for the past few days to see if I can get Advanced Updater to silently download and install updates for a software package. I've got it working for the most part, but there are a few points that I can't seem to get around. The powers-that-be here at work want the updater to download and install new versions silently, without no user interaction.

I've noticed it is possible to run my setup packages silently using the "/quiet" parameter or showing a progress bar (with no user interaction) using "/passive", but I can't work out how to get them to launch in this way from the Advanced Updater. Is this possible at all?

Eusebiu

Re: Silent software updates

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:49 am

Hi,

In order to achieve this you can follow the steps described in the How to handle updates without elevation tutorial.

Please note that in order for the Updater to automatically check for updates you need to use the "Automatic: using a Windows scheduled task" option from the "Updater" page of your project.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

AndreG

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:58 am

Eusebiu wrote:In order to achieve this you can follow the steps described in the How to handle updates without elevation tutorial.
Thanks for the info.. The following section helped me work out where I was going wrong:
All .MSI updates will be executed silently with the /qn command switch. If you plan to use the updater with custom .EXE installers, you must set each update's "Command Line" field with the proprietary silent command switch from its Update Properties Tab in your updates configuration project. If not, the UI will not be shown because the updater runs as a service.
My installer projects are all set to use the .EXE wrapper. Running the packages manually with "/qn", I can confirm they all install correctly (as upgrade or fresh install), so all I was missing here was literally the command line parameter in the updater configuration.

Thanks for pointing that out, can't believe I missed something so simple. :)

Eusebiu

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:18 am

You're welcome. I'm glad you got this working.

Just let us know anytime you need help.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team

Pablopolanco6

Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:14 am

I have something similar as I manage to update my app without the help of the example user when starting windows I'm new to this

AndreG

Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:44 am

Pablo, this thread is over 4 years old, I imagine the H&M software has probably changed quite a lot in this time.. You would be better off starting a new thread and describing your specific issue.

Catalin

Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:16 am

Hello Pablo, Andre,

@Pablo,

Unfortunately, I am not quite sure I understand what problems you are facing.

As @Andre mentioned, it would be better if you were staring a new thread, giving us some more details about your scenario.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

adi2007jain

Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:56 am

I can see that this only works for "per machine only" installation type. I want to use "per-machine if user is admin, per user otherwise" type. How can I achieve this?

Catalin

Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:00 pm

Hello,

As described in the article, I am afraid this will work only with the "Per-machine only (fails if user is not administrator)" option.

The reason behind this is that the user needs to be an administrator in order to install/configure a Windows Service.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”