Betos

Create MST with CAB to existing MSI

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I have the following scenario: I have a manufacturer MSI File, with "Files compressed as CAB and CAB integrated into the MSI". Now I need to create a MST File for this installation and add a few custom config files of ours to it. What I want to come up with, is the original MSI, a CAB-File containing my additional files and an MST which modifies the MSI, that it will use the CAB file.
But what happens, when I open the MSI, add the files and try "Save as MST" from the build menu is, AI tries to extract all files from the MSI and compress them again into a "Setup.CAB" (in addition to the CAB1.cab I wanted created).
When trying to install with the MST, I have to have this setup.cab with the installation, despite the fact, that the manufacturer MSI is still containing all files. This behaviour is...suboptimal.

Is there a way to add files to an "Edit MSI" project without touching the files the manufacturer of the software has already build in the msi? Just adding an extra Cab?

Daniel

Re: Create MST with CAB to existing MSI

Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:51 pm

Hello,

Indeed, this is an Advanced Installer issue. A fix will be available in a future version of Advanced Installer. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. We will notify you when the fix will be released.

Until then as a workaround you should open your MST project file in Advanced Installer, go to "Builds page -> Advanced CAB Layout tab", select the "Setup.CAB" and check its "Include CAB into the MSI database" option. Then use again the [Save As Transform] toolbar button to build another MST.

Let us know if this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Dan

Re: Create MST with CAB to existing MSI

Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:02 pm

Hello,

This was fixed in version 13.0 of Advanced Installer released on June 2nd, 2016.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”