anupmistry

Error 1920. Failed to start service.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:43 pm

Unable to register + start a service with the Advanced Installer.

It works fine if I do it myself via command line like mentioned here >>> http://www.quickpdflibrary.com/help/get ... ed-tcp.php

Ran the installer with log "E:\Install.exe" /L*VX "c:\advi\install.log". It gets the error "Error 1920. Service 'QuickPDFTCP0715.exe' (QuickPDFTCP0715.exe) failed to start . Verify that you have sufficient priviledges to start system services".

Since it works from command prompt thinking its not a problem with priviledges. Already tried following things:
1. Disabled the Windows Firewall then tried to install, did not make any difference
2. Tried the Allow App to interact with the desktop, did not make any difference
3. In the AI project, in control operations un-checked Start, Stop, Delete. It installs the service, but when I try to start it from the services.msc control panel option it gets stuck at starting state with the message "service did not start in a timely fashion".

Any idea's how-to fix or troubleshoot the problem? Thx.

Cosmin

Re: Error 1920. Failed to start service.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:10 am

Hi,

Please note that the Services feature in Advanced Installer can be used only for native Windows services. Since your service is installed in a custom way, you can try using custom actions.

For example, you can use a New Installed Custom Action to launch "QuickPDFTCP0719.exe" with the "/install" parameter. To start the service you can try using a service control operation or an EXE with working Dir custom action for "net start".

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

anupmistry

Re: Error 1920. Failed to start service.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:27 pm

Figured out the problem. The Service Name was the culprit.

The service name has to be QuickPDFTCPService0715, Display name: Quick PDF Library TCP/IP Service 7.15 and Description can be anything. Once I set these parameters it works fine. Windows Installer is able to install and start it too

Return to “Common Problems”