inpoculis

Tutorial to sign applications

Hello,

I'm a lazy guy that just want to quickly sign my installer.

AI tells me:
The digital signing of the APPDIR\xxxxxx.exe file failed. Error Message:
Number of errors: 1
SignTool Error: No certificates were found that met all the given criteria.

Build finished because an error was encountered.

Do you have a tutorial to quicky create a certificate and configure AI to use it ?

Kind regards

IP
Daniel

Re: Tutorial to sign applications

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

I'm not sure why you are encountering this behavior. In order to achieve what you want you can take a look on our "Digitally Signature" article.

Also, you can take a look on our "How to set publisher?" thread which may be useful for you.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
doctorp

Hi Daniel

I'm new to installer creation and was also interested in digital signing.

Can you explain to me the advantage of digitially signing software?

Also, is this similar to SSL for websites? Should I be ideally purchasing a digitial signature from a well known certificate provider if I wanted to distribute software to the general public?

Any help you can offer would be great. Thanks in advance
Daniel

Hello,

Signing your setup packages with a code signing certificate will assure assure the integrity and authenticity of your setups. You can take a look on the "Digital Signatures" article which should be useful for you.

In order to digitally sign a setup package you should first acquire a a code signing certificate from a certificate provider and, then use the certificate in our "Digital Signature" page to sign your setup package. Also, you can take a look on our "Trouble Getting Digital Signature" thread which debates a similar issue.

All the best,
Daniel
sujai.mca

I got a trial code signing certificate and i installed it in my computer and also added it to the digital signature page of Advanced Installer. Its working fine in my PC. It shows the Publisher name during the installation process. But when i try installing the setup in other PC, the publisher name still remains unknown... :? :? :? Can u help me out...
Daniel

Hello,

This may happen if the certificate you are using is issued by a certificate provider which is not in the Member List of the Windows Root Certificate Program. In this case, to avoid this behavior you should import your certificate in the Certificate Store of your target machines. Please take a look on the "Import a Certificate" article.

Also, in order to get more details about the root cause of this behavior you can try to contact the support team of your certificate provider.

Let us know if this helped.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Building Installers”