altoiddealer

Installer stuck on "Extracting files from archive"

Hi, I'm trying to install a program which uses Advanced Installer, a program called InputMapper.

On 2 separate machines I have tried installing this program, but on both machines the installer quickly gets to "Extracting files from archive" and then pauses indefinitely.

I have requested support for this issue on InputMapper forum, but the developer was unable to find a solution. Surprisingly, the developer said this issue has never been reported previously, and according to their statistics it looks like they've had about 100,000 downloads. Meanwhile, I ran out of computers to try installing it on :roll:

Both machines are Windows 7 x64 SP1. I disabled my antivirus software on both machines prior to installation. I also tried Windows 7's "troubleshoot compatibility" mode which yielded the same result.

MSIA247.LOG

The error appears to be

Code: Select all

MSI (s) (F0:E8) [22:47:32:101]: Product: InputMapper -- Error 1311. Source file not found(cabinet): C:\Users\RANDY\AppData\Roaming\DSDCS\InputMapper 1.5.29.0\install\disk1.cab. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.
Apparently this file should be there, but it's never showing up. Please help.

Thanks!
Daniel

Re: Installer stuck on "Extracting files from archive"

Hello and welcome to our forums,

I'm not sure if this is the case, but this error may be caused by an Advanced Installer limitation of our current files extraction method. Currently, the EXE setups built with Advanced Installer extract their embedded installation files (MSI, CAB, etc) asynchronously during the UI dialogs execution, to improve the installation time. Our old extraction method was extracting the embedded installation files at the very beginning of the installation, before the UI dialogs appeared.

Can you please set the ExtractFilesFirst property to value 1 in "Install Parameters" page (in this way the old files extraction method will be used) like this:
  • Name: ExtractFilesFirst
    Value: 1
rebuild your project, test again the setup and see if this helped?

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
altoiddealer

Actually, I'm a user - not the developer.

The developer insists this issue is exclusive to me, but he isn't sure what the issue is either.
codesynergy

A few things you might try:

- Make sure you have admin rights.
- Verify that C:\Users\RANDY\AppData\Roaming\DSDCS\InputMapper 1.5.29.0\install\disk1.cab exists throughout the installation. This will at least tell you if the cab file is being extracted correctly and the antivirus isn't removing it.
- You can extract the exe with the following command: <path to exe> /extract . Then, you could run the msi directly through an admin command prompt using the following command: <path to msi> /qb
If you run the msi directly, I think you have to run the installer silently (using the /qb flag), or you will run into issues with the installer UI.
altoiddealer

codesynergy wrote:- You can extract the exe with the following command: <path to exe> /extract . Then, you could run the msi directly through an admin command prompt using the following command: <path to msi> /qb
BINGO! I had no idea that the installer could be extracted via command line - I had tried using 7-zip which didn't work.

And thus, disk1.cab was born. I moved it around and my AV didn't detect anything malicious. So I guess the root of my issue shall remain a mystery.

Running the msi via cmd with the /qb parameter sealed the deal.

Thanks a bunch!

Return to “Common Problems”