twilight250

getting error: 2716

I'm trying to package a new MSI based on previous installation. In the registry tree, there are some dlls that are generating errors in the Adv Inst when I try to compile the MSI

DEBUG: Error 2716: Couldn't create a random subcomponent name for component 'CommonFilesFolder_Business_Objects_3.0_bin_p3dbtcht.dll'.
MSI (c) (F0:F4): Font created. Charset: Req=0, Ret=0, Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2716. The arguments are: CommonFilesFolder_Business_Objects_3.0_bin_p3dbtcht.dll, ,
MSI (s) (94:E4): Product: Crystal11_Redistributables -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2716. The arguments are: CommonFilesFolder_Business_Objects
_3.0_bin_p3dbtcht.dll, ,

I googled the error, this is what the MSDN says:

2716 Could not create a random subcomponent name for component '[2]'. May occur if the first 40 characters of two or more component names are identical. Ensure that the first 40 characters of component names are unique to the component.

I tried changing the dll name and played around with changing its properties, but the error still comes up. I need those dlls in order for the MSI to work properly.
Cosmin

Re: getting error: 2716

Hi,

Please note that this error refers to the name of your components, not to the names of the files. The component names can be changed in the Organization page. Let me know if the problem persists when using shorter unique names for your components.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
twilight250

ok that seemed to work.

I had long pathnames like this

CommonFilesFolder_Business_Objects_3.0_bin_p3tbtcht.dll

and similar names for 2 different files

CommonFilesFolder_Business_Objects_3.0_bin_p3tbtchs.dll

under Organization, i changed the path name to this
instead of CommonFilesFolder, changed it to CFF

CFF_Business_Objects_3.0_bin_p3tbtcht.dll

ran the compiler again and no errors. thanks for the help.
twilight250

1 more question also

i have about 300 entries that i need to change (the path names, from long to short)

CommonFilesFolder_Business_Objects_3.0_bin_p3tbtcht.dll
CommonFilesFolder_Business_Objects_3.0_bin_etc.dll

is there a way to mass modify these paths in teh Organization? or can I only change them 1 by 1? It will take me a few hours to do it individually, can I modify in bunches at a time?
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm afraid that multiple components cannot be renamed at the same time. However, you ca try opening the .AIP file with a text editor and using "Replace" to modify the names of the components.
For example, you can replace:

Code: Select all

Component="CommonFilesFolder_Business_Objects
with

Component="BO
so the names of the components which match this criteria become:

BO_3.0_bin_etc.dll
Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team