Convert your application/game installer package to a 100% compliant AppX, ready for the Windows Store. Do not worry about code or conversion changes, Desktop Bridge Setup Converter will make a seamless transition of your current installer to the new AppX format.
Generating the AppX
The tool works by monitoring the operating system for changes performed by your current MSI/EXE installer. The captured resources are then included in a new AppX package. You can choose to exclude some resources manually or automatically, with the help of the built-in filters, as shown the video below.
Virtual Machine Integration
Running an OS inside a virtual machine guarantees the best results. The tool can automatically launch a VM image, run the old installer, capture the changes, and send back the results to the host OS to be used for building the AppX.
You can also install and run the Desktop Bridge Setup Converter directly on the Virtual Machine.
How to generate an
AppX using the Desktop Bridge Setup Converter
Advantages over Microsoft's DAC
With the help of the Desktop Bridge team from Microsoft we built the Desktop Bridge Setup Converter to cover for all the missing features from Microsoft's Desktop App Converter. Here are the most important ones:
- Convert any installation, no matter if it installs silently or not.
- You do not need the matching Docker image anymore, you can use any virtual machine. Hyper-V and VMware come with built-in management support.
- Detection of high level constructs, like file type associations or firewall rules and mapping those entries accordingly in the AppXManifest file.
- It's all GUI based, so no more problems with discovering command line switches or typos.
- Your application can be launched with an argument (i.e. shortcut arguments).
- Your package can contain multiple applications.
- GUI to customize the resources included in the package, with a simple click.
- One-click digital signature support.
- Conversion project: reload, edit and rebuild your AppX package in seconds.
For information about the Desktop Bridge visit Microsoft Dev Center.