MarcT

Invalid Digital Signature

We have one user who cannot install our program. They keep getting the error "Cab1.cab has an invalid digital signature".

Whenever we have had this problem with other users, it has turned out to be a bad disk. With this user, though, we sent 4 different disks, and the problem persists. We finally sent them our program on a USB flash drive (which we installed from successfully here before we sent it), and they got the same error. I had them run msiexec with logging on, and here is the relevant section:

MSI (s) (9C:60) [19:07:11:656]: Executing op: FileCopy(SourceName=Castle~1.exe|CastleMalloy.exe,SourceCabKey=CastleMalloy.exe,DestName=CastleMalloy.exe,Attributes=0,FileSize=1227512,PerTick=32768,,VerifyMedia=1,,,,,CheckCRC=0,Version=8.0.0.8967,Language=1033,InstallMode=58982400,,,,,,,)
MSI (s) (9C:60) [19:07:11:656]: File: C:\Program Files\Nancy Drew\The Haunting of Castle Malloy\CastleMalloy.exe; To be installed; Won't patch; No existing file
MSI (s) (9C:60) [19:07:11:656]: Source for file 'CastleMalloy.exe' is compressed
InstallFiles: File: CastleMalloy.exe, Directory: C:\Program Files\Nancy Drew\The Haunting of Castle Malloy\, Size: 1227512
MSI (s) (9C:9C) [19:07:11:671]: Validating digital signature of file 'H:\Cab1.cab'
MSI (s) (9C:9C) [19:07:11:671]: Crypt registration is broken. WinVerifyTrust returned 0x800B0003
MSI (s) (9C:60) [19:07:11:671]: Note: 1: 1330 2: H:\Cab1.cab 3: 3
Error 1330. A file that is required cannot be installed because the cabinet file H:\Cab1.cab has an invalid digital signature. This may indicate that the cabinet file is corrupt. Error 3 was returned by WinVerifyTrust.
MSI (s) (9C:60) [19:07:14:765]: Product: Nancy Drew: The Haunting of Castle Malloy -- Error 1330. A file that is required cannot be installed because the cabinet file H:\Cab1.cab has an invalid digital signature. This may indicate that the cabinet file is corrupt. Error 3 was returned by WinVerifyTrust.

Has anyone seen something like this? Is something wrong with his computer that we can help him fix? Or is there some error in our installer? Any help would be appreciated!

He's running XP sp3, btw.
Cosmin

Re: Invalid Digital Signature

Hi,

I searched for this behavior on the Internet and in our support archives, but I found nothing. This leads me to believe that the problem is caused by the system of the user, not by the installation package. The user which encounters this behavior can try upgrading Windows Installer to a newer version or re-installing the Windows OS.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
MarcT

Thanx, Cosmin. That's what it seemed like to me, too, but unfortunately this customer is a high-profile partner and Marketing is all over me to get them working. So I thought I'd ask. Maybe they'll trust you more than me. :roll:
MarcT

To follow up on this issue, we finally figured it out. Our signed cab file was more than 600MB, and there's a bug in Windows that can cause large signed installer files to fail to verify. There's a patch for W2K3, but not for XP. To work around it, we limited our Cab files to 64MB each (creating 11 of them!), and that resolved the problem.

Hope that saves someone else the week of frustration I went through.

Return to “Common Problems”