Claude Pelletier

Grant folders' permissions

Permissions set in "Files, Folders and Shortcuts" panel are replaced by those we configure. That could be more useful (for me, at least) to having choice to grant permissions on folders too.

Because I cannot grant permissions by using options in that panel, I actually must use cacls.exe to set my folders' permissions, with an irritating DOS windows which is poping each time a permission is set... :evil:
Ionut

Hi,

Advanced Installer already has support for setting folder permissions. Right-click on a folder, select "Properties" from the context-menu, then set the desired Permissions in the tab with the same name (of the "Edit Folder" dialog).

Regards,
Denis
Denis Toma
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
Claude Pelletier

Yes, I know.

Maybe because my English is poor (I'm French), you did not understand what I tried to explain...

When you grant permissions as you describe it, the existing permissions are replaced. The new ones are not just added to the existing ones. I think that it is not a good practice to completely replace the existing permissions by the new ones... Besides, in my actual project, it's not possible.

So, does my explanation is clear now ? :oops:
Ionut

Hi,

Now I understand what you are trying to achieve. But this can be done only through a Custom Action (like the one you are using right now).
I think that it is not a good practice to completely replace the existing permissions by the new ones...
If the folders are installed by your application, then the permissions are not replaced but rather set. If this is not the case, I would say that it is not a good practice to modify the permissions for folders or files that are not installed by your application.

Regards,
Denis
Denis Toma
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

Return to “Feature Requests”