jfree

Creating Patch for Multiple Instance Installs v7.6.1

I have created a Multiple Instance install package that works beautifully so far using AI 7.6.1. I have been trying to create a patch that will be able to update all instances, but I'm not finding a simple way to do so. I have seen a few forum threads discussing this issue in relation to earlier version of AI or for authors who are rolling their own custom solutions manually to deal with this. This functionality requires using your bootstrapper which applies MSI transforms to the base MSI package dynamically at run-time in order to install multiple instances. In order to build a patch that supports all instances, you require that each instance transform be applied to the base MSI file for the upgrade and target packages and added to the Patch project. The fact that you embed the instance transforms in the MSI file makes it very difficult to do this. Also, the MSP file that is generated contains a single table with minimal info in it.

I tried running the AI Transform Wizard to see if I could generate the .mst files for my instances that I could apply to the base MSI package, but I can't pass the TRANSFORM argument to the MSI file using this technique.

So my question(s) are:
- Is there a better way to do this?
- Is it possible to make manual modifications to the AI-generated MSP file to support multiple instance targets?
- If so, exactly what entries would I need to add?

Thank you,
JQF
GabrielBarbu

Re: Creating Patch for Multiple Instance Installs v7.6.1

Hello,

I am afraid it is not possible to create patches for multiple instances. There is no way to get a hold of the msi for a specific instance so that you can create a patch for it.

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

Return to “Common Problems”