michael.lutz

Custom action to copy file from installation media fails

Dear Cosmin

The intention is to copy a file which is not included in the installation itself from the installation media (i. e. CD) into the choosen installation path. Thank’s to guidance from your technicians I was able to complete this task. It worked for at least two years now but all of a sudden it fails on most operating systems.

The required change I made was changing the installation type from 32-bit MSI to 32-bit/64-bit mixed mode. And I used the bootstrapper exe option and the option to place all MSI-files into the bootstrapper exe.

I uploaded a zip containing a word doc showing you the settings in my aip-file.

Your earliest possible help is appreciated since I need to ship about 1.500 Upgrade CDs at the latest the coming Saturday. Thanks in advance,

Michael Lutz
BITsoft
Attachments
Custom Action not Working.zip
(753.98 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
GabrielBarbu

Re: Custom action to copy file from installation media fails

Hello,

Since your installer is now an .exe (because of mixed 32/64bit mode), you should replace all occurrences of SOURCEDIR with SETUPEXEDIR. Let me know if that fixed the issue.

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
michael.lutz

GabrielBarbu wrote:Hello,

Since your installer is now an .exe (because of mixed 32/64bit mode), you should replace all occurrences of SOURCEDIR with SETUPEXEDIR. Let me know if that fixed the issue.
Perfect! That did the job. Thank's a lot Gabriel. Is SETUPEXEDIR a sort of environment variable and if so, where is this annotated or documented? I was not able to locate any hint to this issue (but that does not mean that it is not existing :wink: )

best regards,

Michael Lutz
BITsoft
GabrielBarbu

Hi Michael,

This windows installer property is set by our exe bootstrapper. The documentation can be found in our guide on installing a user specific file.

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

Return to “Common Problems”