mgorga

Use Remote Access Flags on Windows Server 2003

Dears,
on the IIS tab, we are using the Access Flags to avoid remote access to a web application that contents webservices. It works perfectly using an IIS 7 over Windows Server 2008 but it doesn't work on a IIS 6 over Windows Server 2003. We tried using a 32 bits system and 64 bits system (we are using a mixed 32/64 bits installation).

Best regards,
Mario Gorga
Bogdan

Re: Use Remote Access Flags on Windows Server 2003

Hi Mario,

We have done some tests on our machines with IIS 6.0 but we could not reproduce the problem. The access flags were set correctly, i.e. according to IIS documentation.

Can you please install Metabase Explorer and use it to obtain the DWORD value of the access flags for your web site, so we can check it? These settings are not visible in IIS 6.0 management console, this is why I recommended Metabase Explorer.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
mgorga

Hello Bogdan,
the value of the AccessFlags is 30213. I send you a screen capture with all values of the path, too. I hope this is the information that you need.

Regards,
Mario Gorga
Attachments
AccessFlags value on IIS 6 over Windows Server 2003 64bits
AccessFlags value on IIS 6 over Windows Server 2003 64bits
AccessFlagsConfig.PNG (37.44 KiB) Viewed 4814 times
Bogdan

Hi Mario,

The value 30213 in binary is represented as: 0111 0110 0000 0101

IIS documentation specifies that for setting all flags for no remote access, their values are available in the article from my previous post, you need an OR operation
between them. If you perform this operation you will get the following result: 0111 0000 0000 0000

The first four bits are the one we are interested in according to Microsoft docs. As you can see these four bits have identical values, so the
package created with Advanced Installer sets the flags correctly. There are probably other settings on your IIS server that make it to not respect the settings
or maybe a bug from Microsoft (not sure).

I recommended contacting Microsoft technical team for more details, or other IIS specialized forums.

Regards,
Bogdan
mgorga

Thank you,
I read again the link about accessflags on IIS 6 that you said and there are some mistakes: decimal and hexadecimal values have some incoherence. I used decimal values to obtain the "correct" flags. So I tried this value:
0111 0100 0000 0111 -> local access for read/write/execute and no kind of remote access
It doesn't work so maybe there are some bug on IIS 6, some strange configuration, etc. I'll tried to solve the problem on IIS forum.

Best regards,
Mario Gorga
Bogdan

Hi Mario,
decimal and hexadecimal values have some incoherence. I used decimal values to obtain the "correct" flags.
This is correct, we are using the decimal values too, and converted them to HEX values, so we can easily perform the operations
from our code.

Regards,
Bogdan
mgorga

Hello Bodgan,
I found the error. I use AccessFlags to avoid external use of webservices. They need ISAPI activation and it seems that Windows Server 2003 don't allow AccessFlags for this kind of files. I suppose it is a restriction on IIS 6.

Best regards,
Mario

Return to “Common Problems”