Aufhauser

Registry Key under Win7 Pro 64-Bit

I have problems setting registry keys under Win7 Pro 64-Bit (using the virtual 32-bit enviroment). Advanced Installer 8.0.2 works correct, Advanced Installer 8.2 dosn't set correct permissions. Does anyone know a solution?
Bogdan

Re: Registry Key under Win7 Pro 64-Bit

Hi,

Please note that you need to apply the same permissions for the parent keys too. So, for example, if you have the key "HKLM\Software\MyCompany\MyProduct",
the same permissions you apply for "MyProduct" should set for "MyCompany" too.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Aufhauser

Thank you for your answer.
Setting the permission even for the folder doesn't solve the problem. Now my application can read the registry key after install, but after restart of the system, I still cannot read the key. The 8.02 setup runs fine.
Stefan
Cosmin

Hi Stefan,

Can you reproduce this on other machines? Please note that Windows sometimes uses old permissions for registry entries which were already installed. Also, does your application write in these registry entries? If so, does it modify their permissions?

Usually permissions are either set or they aren't. Permissions reset by a reboot is an unusual behavior.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Aufhauser

Thanke you for answer, I can reproduce the problem with any Win 7 64-bit machine.
Advanced installer 8.0.2 works fine. I only set permissions for my key. I the folder is absend installer 8.0.2 creates the folder with the permissions of the key. Under 8.3 I have to set the folder permissions (everyone full control). If the folder ist absend installer 8.3 creates the folder with the given permissions, but then ignores the permissions of the key and creates the key wih special permissions for an special user.

Stefan
Cosmin

Hi,
I the folder is absend installer 8.0.2 creates the folder with the permissions of the key.
What folder? Isn't the problem related to registry entries? Can you please give me more details? Also, can you please send us the .AIP (project) file you are using to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it?

Regards,
Cosmin
Aufhauser

Sorry, I mean Registry node, not folder.
I'll send the aip-files to support.

Stefan
Cosmin

Hi Stefan,

Try setting the same permissions for all parent keys except HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and Software. Sometimes Windows Installer cannot apply registry permissions if the parent keys don't support those permissions.

Also, make sure you test the package on a clean machine. Windows remembers permissions which were set manually or by older versions and automatically applies them instead of the new ones.

Permissions support did not change in any way since 8.0.2, so most likely it's some sort of conflict between Windows and Windows Installer.

Regards,
Cosmin

Return to “Common Problems”