clint

AI 7.7.7 Digital signatuer not working anymore

Problem building package:
Error:

[ DefaultBuild ]
Building package (de): Y:\Install\Advanced Installer\%ProductName%\CurrentProject\Ausgabe\Setup.exe
Preparing files... Exception - Reason: The digital signing of the %XYZ%.dll file failed. Error Message:

Build finished because an error was encountered.

Everything (concerning the digital signature) was working fine the past two years.

This week I created and tested several packges. No problems.

We are getting ready to distribute this package (planned for monday!!)

I haven't updated AI in a while (since 7.7.7 came out)
I do not want to install the newest AI-Update yet, until this package is sent out.

Today, it stopped working with the above error. No error number or any further information.
I turned off the option to sign the package, and it builds with not problems.

The only thing I did this week was I moved the AI project and all package components to a different partition, but since then I was still able to rebuild the package a few times.
(The certificate is valid for another year)

I then tried (today) to reset everything: I clicked "Reset All" on the AI-Digital Signature page and added everything back in again.
I exported the certificate again (mmc).

Nothing helps.

Thank you in Advance.
mihai.petcu

Re: AI 7.7.7 Digital signatuer not working anymore

Hello,

I am not sure why this is happening. Since this is an emergency, can you please try moving the build environment to another machine and see if the problem persists?

Also, you can try the recommended approach which is to enable the "Automatically get certificate from system store" option and assure the certificate is in the system store.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
clint

Re: AI 7.7.7 Digital signatuer not working anymore

Working now!!

This is what happened:

1. A SDK platform was installed with the signtool on a different partition.
2. I later manually installed a different version of the signtool.exe into my AI-main projects folder, and have been using this version ever since.

3. This week, I copied the AI-projects folder, including the working signtool to a different partition.
4. Later I deleted the old AI-projects folder.

5. Opening the package, AI didn't find the signtool under the old location setting, and defaulted to the signtool in the SDK location .
The installed signtool found is either a wrong version for my system, or is corrupt.

Once I changed the location to a working signtool.exe, all was then fine!

I was able to reproduce the exact same problem again.

I guess I was assuming that the set location to the signtool, was also relative to the project.
So project relative paths do not apply to external tools set under Options.

I know this situation is an unusual exception, and normally if the signtool cannot be found, AI informs the user when attemting to build the package.

But if the set and working signtool.exe stored location changes, and the automatically found installed version doesn't work on the system or is corrupt, then that is different.

Thank you for the immediate response!!! Sure comforting to know AI is right there to help when there is an emergency situation!!

In the past two years I have been more than satisfied with the AI-performance and support help!

Best Regards,
Charles

Return to “Common Problems”