Zarbon001

Wrong File Size Error from Updater

I am trying to get a .exe file to update and every time I try I get the Error: wrong file size. I have made sure the file size is correct and even went as far as taking that constraint off the updater.txt file. The updater was working perfectly when I was accessing everything straight from my console, but the problems arousde when I tried to access the information on a different server.
Cosmin

Re: Wrong File Size Error from Updater

Hi,

Does the update URL work correctly in Internet Explorer? It should automatically download the update package. If it does, can you please send us the updates configuration file you are using and the Updater INI file to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Zarbon001

The updater URL was the problem, but now I'm getting an error saying that the Update Instillation Failed. Even though the update finished and everything is installed and working properly.
Cosmin

Hi,

Any update defined in the Updates Configuration file uses a detection criteria. This criteria is usually a file or a registry entry which contains the package version. If it's not met after the update is installed, the Updater will show this message.

Therefore, you need to make sure you specified a correct file or registry entry in the Installed Detection section of the Update Properties page.

Regards,
Cosmin
Zarbon001

Updates config file.png
Updates config file.png (39.76 KiB) Viewed 4619 times
This is how my updates config file is set up. I don't see what I am doing wrong. I am using the same exe file in both locations.
Cosmin

Hi,

By default a new update checks the version for this file path:

Code: Select all

[APPDIR]YourApplication.exe
You can modify it to check the version for your main application exe, something like:

Code: Select all

[APPDIR]My App.exe
"APPDIR" property represents your installation folder (Application Folder from Files and Folders page). It is resolved automatically by the Updater.

In the last updates project you sent you are using a PDF file. Please note that PDF files do not have file versions. Only portable executables (DLL, EXE etc.) have versions.

If your package doesn't have any versioned files, your new MSI can contain a registry entry just for detecting the update. That entry can contain your package Product Version.

In this case you can just browse to that entry or manually set its path in your update detection criteria.

Regards,
Cosmin

Return to “Common Problems”