mknoblock

unable to install because of previous version

(Windows XP): I have an installation that won't run on some customer machines because the MSI is detecting another version of the software from a previous installation. Add/Remove programs does not list the 'installed' version, and the registry has been cleaned up as far as any references to the executable.

How can I clear any fragments of older copies of the software so that the MSI can run? Or, is there a way to unconditionally force installation regardless of previous versions?

Thanks for any help.
mihai.petcu

Re: unable to install because of previous version

Hello,
1638 Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.
If this is the error, here is our user guide explanation for it.
How can I clear any fragments of older copies of the software so that the MSI can run? Or, is there a way to unconditionally force installation regardless of previous versions?
The complete removal should be done automatically on uninstall unless the installation was broken. In this case you could have followed this user guide article.

A solution you could try is to change the Product Code of the package. However, if it comes to this, the previously installed version is not correctly removed from that machine.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”