BCh

How to Check different Installs - Logging on Client machine

Hi,

Have a problem where I have just had to change my PC - hence install everything all over again.

I have two version of an installation 1.1.1.18 and 1.1.2.1.

Both work OK if installed on a new computer (with no previous installations of the program) BUT if I try and update 1.1.1.18 with 1.1.2.1 the application program gives me an error when starting due to Crystal Report <512 Report engine not opened>

I know it has something to do with Crystal XI but I have tried to check both install set-ups and they look the same - am using merge modules from Crystal.

Is there a way that I can see logging when installation occurs to see what is happening in terms of what is being deleted / added - on client machine?

I have tried to load backup of old 1.1.1.18 install program and regenerate installation and it now does the same thing.

Thanks for your help.
Cosmin

Hi,
I have two version of an installation 1.1.1.18 and 1.1.2.1.
Note that Windows Installer does not take in consideration the fourth element of the version. For example: if your project has the
version 1.2.3.4 and you change it to 1.2.3.5, Windows Installer will not see this change.

In order to change the Product Code (this is required when updating an installation without using a patch) you need to change one of the first three fields of the version. You can read more
about this here:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370859.aspx
Is there a way that I can see logging when installation occurs to see what is happening in terms of what is being deleted / added - on client machine?
You can create a log of the installation by using the "Run and Log" option in the "Project" menu of Advanced Installer or by using the following command line with the resulted MSI:

Code: Select all

msiexec /i package.msi /L*V package.log
where package.msi is the package which shows the error.

In order to find the problem you will log the installation of the second package after the first one has been installed (the update process).

If the problem persists send us the generated log file to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate the problem. Also, please send us the AIPs of the two versions (if they do not contain confidential information) or a small test case reproducing this behavior and mention the update method you are using.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
BCh

Sorry for delay - thanks for your reply.

Found issue was in one of Crystal components that I was installing was not an updated one - got lost after got new machine.

Thanks.

Return to “Common Problems”