jimmy5

Install a 3rd party software as prerequisities

I have just started to use Advanced Installer.
Here is my question:

I need to install a 3rd party software (either before or after my own project). What is the best approach?

I tried to use prerequisities feature. But I receive an error message saying some prerequisities are missing. If I look at the *.aip file, there is another item
<COMPONENT cid="caphyon.advinst.msicomp.PreReqSearchComponent">
<ROW Prereq="0" SearchType="0" SearchString="[SystemFolder]file.dll" VerMin="1.0" Order="1"/>
</COMPONENT>

It seems I cannot remove this item, which seems related to OS?

I in fact hope to know some other ways to install this 3rd party library. It has its own *.msi file, setup.exe file etc.
I thought I can use a batch file to run it, but never get it work. May be I miss something.

Any suggestion is welcome!

Another question, if I am able to make a setup package using VS6's Packaging wizard, is there an easy way to run it from Advanced Installer?

Thank you!
Cosmin

Hi,
I need to install a 3rd party software (either before or after my own project). What is the best approach?
The best approach is to use Prerequisites. In order to use prerequisites in your installation package you simply specify the setup file of the prerequisite and the installation conditions.

You can read more about this feature here:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... tware.html

The setup file can be an EXE or a MSI and the installation conditions can be set depending on the prerequisite (for example a registry key that is installed by the prerequisite or the version of a file).

We have a tutorial for using prerequisites, please take a look:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... requisites
If I look at the *.aip file, there is another item
<COMPONENT cid="caphyon.advinst.msicomp.PreReqSearchComponent">
<ROW Prereq="0" SearchType="0" SearchString="[SystemFolder]file.dll" VerMin="1.0" Order="1"/>
</COMPONENT>
This is automatically generated by Advanced Installer when you use prerequisites in your project.

Note that it is not recommended to manually edit the AIP file.
Another question, if I am able to make a setup package using VS6's Packaging wizard, is there an easy way to run it from Advanced Installer?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you please give more details about this?

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”