ms_bhandari

Updating the existing files only

Is there option to update only the files exist on the target location by using AI new installation?

Our program is up and running since last few years and trying to switch the installation to this AI. So, when use this new installation – I’m thinking to copy the new files only if that exist on the target location.

Thanks.
Madhu
Cosmin

Re: Updating the existing files only

Hi,

For upgrading an older installation created with another authoring tool there are two cases:
1) The old installation is MSI-based. In this case you can use the Upgrades page to specify which applications will be upgraded by your package. Basically, the old installation will be removed automatically and your package will be installed.

2) The old installation is not MSI-based. In this case you can create a custom action which calls the Uninstaller of the old application. If it doesn't have one, then you have two options:
  • Create a custom launch condition which uses the result of a search. The search will verify if the old application is installed and if it is then the custom launch condition will terminate the installation. This will make the user manually remove the old application before installing the new package.
  • Create a custom action which removes all the resources of the old installation.
Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ms_bhandari

Cosmin

Thanks for your response.

My old installation is non-msi. So, I think I need to go with 'Search'. Actually I'm playing with the serach condition now. Do you have any sample on how to use search condition?

Thanks.

Madhu
Ionut

Hi,

You can use the Search Wizard in order to create a Search more easily (select "Wizards -> Search" from the main menu). You can search for a file, folder, registry value or even INI file key (not available via the Wizard) in order to determine if the old version of your application is present.

You can use the "Test Search" toolbar button in oder to test a search.

Regards,
Ionut
Denis Toma
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

Return to “Common Problems”