vaine0

Multiple Volumes non cabbed?

Is this possible?
Cosmin

Re: Multiple Volumes non cabbed?

Hi,

This is not possible. I'm not sure why you need this, can you please give me more details about what you need to do?

Note that the multiple volumes concept implies multiple archives on more than one storage media. Also, these archives must be able to request the next volume in order to complete the installation (this is handled automatically by Windows Installer when using CAB files).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
vaine0

For those rare CRC problems. The company I work with prefers to be able to have their customers simply copy missing files off the when there are install problems.
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm afraid that this is not supported by Windows Installer. Therefore, what you need cannot be done by using the Windows Installer technology.

Regards,
Cosmin
MarcT

We figured this out. On the Builds page, choose "Advanced CAB Layout". Then on the "Advanced Media" tab, select the CAB file and right-click the files you want to be outside the cab, then choose "Store Outside on Disk". Once you do that, you can right-click those files and say Move To->New Volume. Then they'll be sitting on the second disk, outside the cab.

Now if we could just set up a folder structure for them, too, that would be excellent.
Cosmin

Hi,
Now if we could just set up a folder structure for them, too, that would be excellent.
I'm afraid that this is not supported by Windows Installer. However, we have on our TODO list an improvement which will allow you to create multiple volumes with the files outside.

Regards,
Cosmin

Return to “Common Problems”