Epsilon

Updater Visits URL Twice

I use the AI Updater to allow the users of my applications to manually check for updates using the standard 'Check For Updates' icon. The URL in my updates files is specified as in the following example:

Code: Select all

http://www.epsilon.net.nz/cgi/update.cgi?download=CustomerV3.1.2.exe
This runs a script to add 1 to a counter file for that particular executable. This is so that I can keep track of how many times the update has been downloaded. The script returns the name of the file for the Updater to download and install (http://www.epsilon.net.nz/Download/CustomerV3.1.2,exe).

Up until recently, I noticed the counter was being updated every time a user ran the 'Check for Updates' - even if there was no software update necessary. Now this behaviour does not happen and the counter is not incremented when no updates are downloaded. I presume there has been a change to the Updater code in the recent AI update.

However, I now find that when an update is downloaded, the URL must be called twice because the counter always goes up by 2 even though only one download and install has occurred.

Do you have any idea how I can control this behaviour? Is it a bug in AI or am I stuck with it.

Thanks

Richard Williams
Cosmin

Re: Updater Visits URL Twice

Hi Richard,

The Updater had a bug related to this in the previous versions of Advanced Installer. Can you please specify the Advanced Installer version you used to build the package?

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Epsilon

I am using AI V6.5.2.
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm afraid that we are unable to reproduce this behavior on our test machines by using the latest version. Please note that this behavior is encountered only if the package was built with Advanced Installer 6.4 or 6.4.1 (it doesn't matter what version you use now, only the version you used to build the package matters).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”