vclamnet

How to using auto updater with ftp

Hi,
I am trying to incorporate auto updater in my program and keep getting this error message "The server returned extended information"
Here is what I have under the updater.ini
URL=ftp://user:password@company.com/download/updates.txt

and the click for update is using the following command "c:\program files\myapps\updater.exe" /checknow

I was able to type the url above in ie without the update.txt and it works and I can see the director and files in it but when I include update.txt it does not work.
any suggestion and recommendation?
Vinh,
Cosmin

Re: How to using auto updater with ftp

Hi,

I'm afraid that the Updater does not support FTP for the URL of the Updates Configuration file. Please try using HTTP or a local URL (for example, "file://C:\test\updates.txt"). Please note that in the Updates Configuration file you can use a FTP connection.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
vclamnet

Cosmin,
Are you saying I must have the updates.txt file on http server and the actual installer files on ftp server?
Thanks,
Vinh,
Cosmin

Hi,
Are you saying I must have the updates.txt file on http server and the actual installer files on ftp server?
No, I did not say this. For the URL which points to the Updates Configuration file in the Updater INI you can use:
- HTTP
- local URL (with "file://")

For the URL of the update in the Updates Configuration file you can use:
- HTTP
- FTP
- local URL (with "file://")

You can use any of the above for your project as long as the URL you are using is supported.

Regards,
Cosmin
vclamnet

Cosmin,
Thanks for your help!
This is what I meant since the only choice I have for the updates.txt file is http or file url, this file must be located on a web server and the rest of the actual installer can be located on the same web server or ftp server or file server.
Any chance of provide support for ftp url on the updater.ini?
Thank you,
Vinh,
Cosmin

Hi Vinh,
Any chance of provide support for ftp url on the updater.ini?
We will consider implementing this feature in a future version of Advanced Installer. Thank you for your suggestion. However, this feature will not be available in the near future.

Regards,
Cosmin
vclamnet

It is understandable and thank you for your help on troubleshooting this problem.
Vinh,

Return to “Common Problems”