mhatkinson

Side by side installs

I know it's possible to allow side-by-side installs of different versions of an application, but is it possible to install side-by-side OR upgrade an existing application.
That is, is there a straightforward way to allow the user doing the installation to choose whether to upgrade the app or install side-by-side (assuming the currently installed version < new version)?

Thanks,
Mark
Cosmin

Re: Side by side installs

Hi Mark,

What you need can be done with Advanced Installer. Please note that the User Guide contains the Conditionally show the "UpgradeDlg" dialog how-to which may help you.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
mhatkinson

OK, so far so good. But now, when an upgrade install is done and the user clicks 'Next' on the UpgradeDlg they get this error:

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2878. The arguments are: FolderDlg, FolderEdit, C:\Program Files\Mydir\MyLocation\

The FolderEdit uses a property APPDIR but it doesn't look like it's possible to set the APPDIR value to empty or null. It seems like that's what's needed if there's already a product installed at APPDIR. any suggestions?
Cosmin

Hi,

Please note that the error 2878 means: "On the dialog [2] the control [3] has a possible value: [4]. This is an invalid or duplicate value."

Did you create another Path Edit control on the "FolderDlg" dialog? If so, why did you set its property to APPDIR? Please note that "APPDIR" is the property which contains the installation path and it already has a Path Edit control on "FolderDlg".

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
mhatkinson

No, as far as I can tell there's one edit (called FolderEdit) on the dialog and it's not one that I created. Nor have I added a second one.
mhatkinson

mhatkinson wrote:No, as far as I can tell there's one edit (called FolderEdit) on the dialog and it's not one that I created. Nor have I added a second one.
Also, if I change the value of APPDIR to something else - where the application isn't already uinstalled, everything works fine.
mhatkinson

I figured out my issue.
The value of the APPDIR variable is something like:
[ProgramFilesFolder][Manufacturer]\MyProduct\MyLocation\[ENVNAME]\

...where [ENVNAME] is a variable supplied by the user typically something like "TestEnvironment". When the value ends in a backslash, I get the 2878 error. When it doesn't have the backslash, as in:
[ProgramFilesFolder][Manufacturer]\MyProduct\MyLocation\[ENVNAME]

...everything works fine.

Mark

Return to “Common Problems”