pauldennis

Upgrade Update or Patch

hello all,

I am slightly confused between upgrading, updating or patching our project. Our application includes the datafile which is modified by the user. Therefore when we wish to "update" the software we do not want to replace the users datafile. if we create an upgrade project which does not include the datafile, the users datafile is removed when the upgrade is run. From the forum I understand that patch projects are to be used for minor updates which is not the case we are replacing everything except the users datafile.

Can somebody please enlighten me on how to upgrade without replacing some of the files present.

regards
Paul
Cosmin

Re: Upgrade Update or Patch

Hi Paul,

Since you want to replace everything except the data file, you can use a major upgrade. Advanced Installer allows you to do this through the automated upgrade feature. Basically, when new version of the product is launched it will automatically uninstall the previous version.

If you want to keep the data file from the target machine, you can back it up before the upgrade starts and restore it after the upgrade. Please note that the User Guide contains the Preserve File on Install how-to which may help you.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”