Sal

need to uninstall regardless of version id

I have a problem where an upgrade trigger does not always occur. I need to uninstall the prior installed instance no matter the version. Example: I need it to uninstall 1.1.0.0 when installing to 2.1.0.0. It, instead, installs as a side-by-side. The problem, I presume, is the uninstall is bypassed when either of the two most significant fields (xx.yy) of the ww.xx.yy.zz version differ from the ww.xx.yy.zz that is previously installed.

Here is my configuration: I have configured AI so that it does not install side-by-side. I have kept the UpgradeCode the same constant string in all the versions of the aip files. From your blogs, I also gleemed that the .aip also needs a 1025 in the AI_NEWERPRODUCTFOUND ROW. As shown in the second ROW of the MsiUpgradeComponent section below:

Upgrading 1.1.1.1 to 1.1.1.2 works; it first uninstalls; then installs 1.1.1.2
Upgrading 1.1.1.1 to 1.1.2.o works; it first uninstalls; then installs 1.1.1.2
Upgrading 1.1.1.1 to 1.2.0.0 fails to uninstall.

<COMPONENT cid="caphyon.advinst.msicomp.MsiUpgradeComponent">
<ROW UpgradeCode="[|UpgradeCode]" VersionMax="[|ProductVersion]" Attributes="1025" ActionProperty="OLDPRODUCTS"/>
<ROW UpgradeCode="[|UpgradeCode]" VersionMin="[|ProductVersion]" Attributes="1025" ActionProperty="AI_NEWERPRODUCTFOUND"/>
</COMPONENT>

But adding 1025 did not fix the problem.
Is there a way I could add a compound test for prior version?
For example,
UpgradeCode="ongstringofHEXDigitsA or "longstringofHEXDigitsB"

Any advice is much appreciated.
Cosmin

Re: need to uninstall regardless of version id

Hi,

I'm not sure why you are encountering this behavior. A higher version of the package should automatically uninstall a lower version, no matter what version fields are changed. Do both versions use the same installation type (per-user or per-machine)? If this is the case and the problem persists, please send us the AIP files of the two versions to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”