Sal

"Use the control panel to remove"

When doing a version upgrade, (1.6 to 1.7) I get the Windows pop up: "A version of this program is already installed, use the control panel add/remove programs to uninstall." Then the installer terminates and does nothing.

My problem is the 1.6 UNinstaller automatically deletes some files that I first need backed up.

In an attempt to back up the files, in 1.7, I added "InstallExecuteSequence" -> "Begin" and invoke a simple .bat that copies the files to safe storage. The problem is the pop up is occuring before the "Begin" so the .bat file is never being invoked. Is there a way to invoke a .bat script prior to that first pop up? Should I put the bat script in autorun.inf and invoke it prior to the installer?

Your help is much appreciated.
Cosmin

Re: "Use the control panel to remove"

Hi,

I'm not sure why you are encountering this behavior. Did you answer "Yes" when prompted about changing the Product Code (after you increased the version)? If so, the package should use the automated upgrade feature and automatically uninstall the previous version. If you changed the Product Code and the behavior is the same, please send us the AIP (project) files of the two packages to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them.

During an upgrade, the old version is uninstalled by the "InstallExecuteSequence" -> "RemoveExistingProducts" standard action. Therefore, you can schedule the backup custom action under "InstallExecuteSequence" -> "Begin". Please note that the User Guide contains the Preserve file on install how-to which may help you.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”