ttheimer

How is the version # checked?

I am preparing for a release using Advanced Installer for the first time. Update tests have worked as expected on test PCs but I noticed that when I am on my development computer with the IDE running, when I trigger the check for updates I don't see the message "Your software is up to date" when the version of the currently running application is the same or larger than the version on the update server. I am always shown the choice of updates to install.

So, once the configuration file is being read from the server and the new version number is obtained, what is this being compared to when the updater is determining whether or not the currently running app is up to date?

Also, are the version numbers being section by section as numbers so 1.1.10.1 will be seen as a later version than 1.1.9.1?

Thanks

Tom
Cosmin

Re: How is the version # checked?

Hi Tom,
So, once the configuration file is being read from the server and the new version number is obtained, what is this being compared to when the updater is determining whether or not the currently running app is up to date?
The Updater uses the detection criteria of the available updates to determine if the installed application is up to date. The detection criteria of an update can be set in the "Installed Detection" section of the update properties page from the updates configuration project.
Also, are the version numbers being section by section as numbers so 1.1.10.1 will be seen as a later version than 1.1.9.1?
Yes, the version fields are evaluated as numbers. Since 10 is higher than 9, 1.1.10 will be higher than 1.1.9.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”