edgonz

Testing Advanced Installer

Greetings,

I recently installed the trial/free version of Advanced Installer; I managed to create some very simple MSIs.
Now, I'm trying to create an MSI for MS Project 2003 Professional. I ran Office 2003 RKit to create the MST file, so now I have the correct syntax to use setup.exe with the MST file. (e.g. setup.exe TRANSFORMS="\\MST_File_Location\PROJECT2003PRO.MST" /qb-)

My question is: how do I tell Advanced Installer to use the parameters required by setup.exe?

My search on this forum didn't return pointers for my question.

Thanks!
Cosmin

Re: Testing Advanced Installer

Hi,

Please note that Advanced Installer is an installation package authoring tool, it is not a deployment tool for existing installers. Usually Advanced Installer is used to create installation packages for applications.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
edgonz

Pardon my ignorance, so I can't use this application to create MSI installation packages for applications?
Cosmin

Hi,

Advanced Installer was designed to create MSI packages for applications written by you or by your company (you have the application binaries). It was not designed to repackage other installers into MSI files (like creating a new MSI package for MS Project 2003 Professional, which already has its own installer). We do have the Repackager tool which allows you to capture existing installers into a new project, but this is meant to give you a starting point for your package (it's not designed to reproduce existing installers).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”