mentalmushroom

File association after update

After installing the new version of my product (major update) I noticed the following. When I double click the file associated with my program for the first time after update it shows this window:
Is that a normal behavior? It's a little bit strange as I supposed everything to be performed during the installation step and nothing like this when installation is finished.

More problems occur when I check "Delete update package file after installation" option in the updates config:
So it searches for the installer which is, as far as I understand, deleted by that moment. Am I doing something wrong?

Tested on Windows 7 and Windows 8 with Advanced Installer 11.8.
No milk today
Daniel

Re: File association after update

Hello,
After installing the new version of my product (major update) I noticed the following. When I double click the file associated with my program for the first time after update it shows this window:
Is that a normal behavior? It's a little bit strange as I supposed everything to be performed during the installation step and nothing like this when installation is finished.
I think this behavior is caused by the application resiliency mechanism of Windows Installer. When installing a file extension through our "File Associations" page, then after installation every time an application tries to access/launch a file with the installed extension, Windows Installer will check the key resources of all components residing under the same feature as the component of your installed extension. If at least one key resource is missing, then a repair operation will be triggered for the above feature so that the feature resource files be restored.

In conclusion, this may happen if after the upgrade installation a component key resource or several (you can check them from "Organization" page) belonging to your extension feature is missing or wasn't been installed. So, to further investigate this you can try to generate a verbose log of the upgrade installation and send it us alongside the AIPs (project files) of your old and new version to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them.
More problems occur when I check "Delete update package file after installation" option in the updates config:
So it searches for the installer which is, as far as I understand, deleted by that moment. Am I doing something wrong?
To avoid this behavior you can either uncheck the "Delete update package file after installation" option in the updates configuration project or check the "Do not delete extracted MSI and CAB files" option from "Builds page -> Configuration tab" of your setup project.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
mentalmushroom

The old version was created a long time ago, so I am not sure whether I have the project that was used for that. Also I can't tell precisely which version of AI I was using at that moment, supposedly 10.7 or 10.9. But I noticed the issue doesn't seem to occur if I create an update with the same version of Advanced Installer (11.8) as the updated version was created. Could it be the issue is related to some difference in Advanced Installer versions?
To avoid this behavior you can either uncheck the "Delete update package file after installation" option in the updates configuration project or check the "Do not delete extracted MSI and CAB files" option from "Builds page -> Configuration tab" of your setup project.
Yes, but I would like to keep user machines clean...
No milk today
Daniel

Hello,
The old version was created a long time ago, so I am not sure whether I have the project that was used for that. Also I can't tell precisely which version of AI I was using at that moment, supposedly 10.7 or 10.9. But I noticed the issue doesn't seem to occur if I create an update with the same version of Advanced Installer (11.8) as the updated version was created. Could it be the issue is related to some difference in Advanced Installer versions?
I'm afraid I'm not aware of any difference between AI versions related to the updates configuration files which could generate such issue. Mainly, the updates configuration file should be created with an Advanced Installer version equal or greater than the version of your old product installation (the one which installed the Updater that checks for and install the updates package).

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”