hmje

MSI installation fails with error 1622 is randommaly appears

I've encountered an issue with an MSI installer that I created using Advanced Installer. While the installation succeeds most of the time, there are sporadic failures with error code 1622 (ERROR_INSTALL_LOG_FAILURE).

Upon investigating the installation log file, I noticed a peculiar pattern: during successful installations, the log indicates the message "running as a service" appears twice. However, in cases where the installation fails, this message appears a third time, followed by the abrupt cessation of logging activity. Subsequently, only the error message is logged.

I'm seeking guidance on how to troubleshoot and resolve this issue. Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Catalin

Re: MSI installation fails with error 1622 is randommaly appears

Hello and welcome to our forums,

Are you installing the setup using administrator rights?

If not, this might be a possible cause for the "Error opening log file" error.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
hmje

Hello,

Thank you for your prompt response.

Yes, I am indeed installing the setup with administrator rights. The log file is successfully created in the temp folder as expected. However, it's the part of the MSI log that occasionally disappears, causing the issue I described.

Do you have any further insights or suggestions on how to address this specific aspect of the problem?

Thank you for your assistance!
Catalin

Hello,

You are always welcome!

Do you, perhaps, have an AV product installed that might interact and block the Windows Installer service from writing the log file?

Also, are you able to reproduce this on a clean Virtual Machine, or is it happening on your dev machine only?

From the looks of it, I would say that this is a sporadic issue that only happens on your dev machine, thus why I'm asking if you can reproduce it on another machine as well.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”