Zsolt Kollarits

Patch cannot be installed due to missing disk1.cab

Dear Advanced Installer Support Team,

Please let me report an installation issue for you: we´re not able to install a patch (.msp) because it´s trying to find a .CAB file called disk1.cab, although the .CAB file of the previous installation had a different name.

Here is our scenario:
1. We created our previous product by selecting the "EXE setup with resources next to it" option in AI 12.0. Into the "MSI name" field we filled "TheServer" word, so as a result we got a bunch of files:
- Setup.exe
- TheServer.msi
- TheServer.x64.msi
- TheServer1.cab
- few other files
2. We installed this product on our PC by doubleclicking on Setup.exe.
3. Then we created our current/latest product by using a different build type: "Single EXE setup (resources inside). As an outcome we got a single file only:
- TheServer.exe
4. In order to create a patch between our old and new products, we extracted TheServer.exe and got a list of files:
- TheServer.msi
- TheServer.x64.msi
- disk1.cab
- few other files
5. Using the old and new MSI files we successfully created our 32-bit and 64-bit patch files.
6. When we try to install any of our patch files, it fails to be installed due to an error message saying "disk1.cab is missing" from the PC. Obviously there is no disk1.cab, since the old product used a .CAB file called TheServer1.cab.

Could you please advise us something how to solve this situation?

Best regards,
Zsolt
Daniel

Re: Patch cannot be installed due to missing disk1.cab

Hello Zsolt,

I've tested and replicated the issue. This happens because it seems we don't have a consistent rule of setting the CAB name for all our supported package type options. We apologize for this inconvenience. This is an Advanced Installer issue and a fix will be available in a future version of AI, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will notify you as soon as the fix will be out.

Also, we will improve our patch building log so when there is a mismatch between the CAB names this be presented and highlighted as an error in the patch building log, so that this installation errors be prevented.

Until then, I'm afraid that the only workaround is to keep using the "EXE setup with resources next to it" package type option. Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Zsolt Kollarits

Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much for the information! We´re looking forward to get the fixture.

Best regards,
Zsolt
Daniel

You're welcome Zsolt.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
theodorus.alvin

Daniel wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:35 pm Hello Zsolt,

I've tested and replicated the issue. This happens because it seems we don't have a consistent rule of setting the CAB name for all our supported package type options. We apologize for this inconvenience. This is an Advanced Installer issue and a fix will be available in a future version of AI, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will notify you as soon as the fix will be out.

Also, we will improve our patch building log so when there is a mismatch between the CAB names this be presented and highlighted as an error in the patch building log, so that this installation errors be prevented.

Until then, I'm afraid that the only workaround is to keep using the "EXE setup with resources next to it" package type option. Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Daniel
Hello Daniel, if you don't mind could you explain in more detail about what I have to do after I select 'Exe setup with resources next to it'? I encountered similar problem but after selecting that option, the issue persist and I am still getting 'patch cannot be installed because disk1.cab is missing'.
Eusebiu

Hi Theodorus,

The issue discussed in this thread appeared only when the first version (1.0.0) was created using the "EXE setup with resources next to it" option and the second version (1.0.1) was created using the "Single EXE setup (resources inside)" option. Was this also your case?

If you use the same package type for both versions, then this case does not apply to you.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”