ntdoc

ALLUSERSPROFILE for shortcuts

I've searched in the help file and on the board here but I don't see a built-in variable for ALLUSERSPROFILE which normally is here on XP : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users

I'm trying to create my own program group folder so that it is for ALL users and not just the current user that does the install.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\my application name

I'm using version 7.1.3 Enterprise as an evaluation of the program.

Eventually the installer will be for a silent GPO machine based install application so the ProgramMenuFolder which points to: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Start Menu\Programs isn't really what I'm looking for.

How can I create that folder properly so that it works on both English and also on non English language installs?

Thanks for any insight.
Bogdan

Re: ALLUSERSPROFILE for shortcuts

Hi,
I'm trying to create my own program group folder so that it is for ALL users and not just the current user that does the install.
You could try to select the "Per machine only(fails if user is not administrator)" option from the Install Type combobox in the Install Parameters page. This will create the group folder for all users from that machine.

Here are the folders from Files and Folders page that will resolve to a location from ""C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\...": Application Folder,Temporary, Start Menu, Programs, Desktop, Favorites, My Documents, My Pictures, Templates, Send To, Administrative Tools, Application Data, Common Application Data,Local Application Data.

For the shortcuts you will use the Application Shortcut Folder. This will place them to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\my application name", just as you need.

A complete list with all the resolved paths of the folders from Files and Folders page you can find here.
the installer will be for a silent GPO machine based install application
When you will assign the package, you should assign it per machine. If it is assigned per-machine then the program will be installed for all users when the machine starts.
How can I create that folder properly so that it works on both English and also on non English language installs?
This is supported automatically by Windows Installer.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ntdoc

Re: ALLUSERSPROFILE for shortcuts

Thank you very much Mitrache. Excellent reply and quite helpful.

I went ahead and purchased the Enterprise version of the program. I own a copy of InstallAware, but their support site is so adversarial and combative to their own customers that I had to switch programs. If I had known they were so unhelpful, arrogant, and rude to their own paying customers I would have never purchased the program or at least gotten my money back. As it was I did not use their program for a few months and then when I finally did need to use it and had a question about the program they were of no help and simply asked me to read the manual (which I'd already read for what I was attempting to do and there were other similar posts asking how to do the same thing, and they did not help any of us). I don't know who owns and runs that Company but for anyone thinking of buying InstallAware they should visit their support site and read some of the negative replies given by support.

Thank you again for your kind support and actually taking the time to care about your customers and even potential customers with actual useful advice.

Return to “Common Problems”