ChrisGue

"Search the 64-bit portion of the registry" ??

"Search the 64-bit portion of the registry" (Search panel)
What does that mean exactly?
I want to search for e.g.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\InstallRoot\Path

On 64 bit systems the key is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\InstallRoot\Path

It seems to work when I turn off that setting. But it is really unclear what that option does.

Thank you,
Chris
GabrielBarbu

Re: "Search the 64-bit portion of the registry" ??

Hello,

When you check the "64-bit portion of the registry" option, the search will look in the 64-bit portion of the registry. Otherwise, it will look in the 32-bit portion.

In your example, the 64-bit portion of the registry is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\InstallRoot\Path" on the 64-bit system.
The 32-bit portion of the registry is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\InstallRoot\Path" on the 64-bit system.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
xumix

I've tried to read 64bit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER\Setup\SQLPath key, I've checked 64bit checkbox but installer still cannot read the key, the property is empty.
On 32bit windows it works perfect. The key is viewable via regedit
xumix

'Test search' also does not show any data
GabrielBarbu

Hello,

You can check our guide on The Search Page for a detailed description on how to use the Search feature in Advanced Installer. If you still can not troubleshoot the issue, then please send your .aip project file or a sample that accurately reproduces this behavior to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can further investigate the issue.

Regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
GabrielBarbu

Hello,

The attached project you sent me seems ok. Note that the test function will not be able to access the 64-bit portion of the registry since Advanced Installer is a 32-bit application. You can try displaying the property on the Windows Installer dialog. Use our Dialog Editor to achieve this. Simply create a static text that displays your property, to see if it finds the key you are searching for.

Regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
xumix

I've changed package to 32/64bit mode, and now it works OK, thanks
Frode

GabrielBarbu wrote:Hello,

When you check the "64-bit portion of the registry" option, the search will look in the 64-bit portion of the registry. Otherwise, it will look in the 32-bit portion.

In your example, the 64-bit portion of the registry is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\InstallRoot\Path" on the 64-bit system.
The 32-bit portion of the registry is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\InstallRoot\Path" on the 64-bit system.
Could you please elaborate how this works on a 32-bit OS vs. 64-bit OS, ie. when checking and not checking 'Search the 64-bit portion of the registry'.

-frode
Daniel

Hello Frode,

Please keep in mind that when the related option is checked, then on a 64-bit machine the search will check the 64-bit registry section. For example if you add a registry search in your project like this:
  • Root: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Key: SOFTWARE\MY_KEY
    Name: MY_REG_VALUE
    Type: Retrieve the raw value
    Search the 64-bit portion of the registry - disabled
then the related search on a 32-bit machine will check the following registry value:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MY_KEY\MY_REG_VALUE
and on a 64-bit machine will check the following registry value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MY_KEY\MY_REG_VALUE
If the "Search the 64-bit portion of the registry" option is enabled, then on a 64-bit machine the above search will check the following registry value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MY_KEY\MY_REG_VALUE
Also, you can take a look on our "Wow6432Node Registry Key" article.

If you have any questions let us know.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Frode

One final question :)

If I set the "Search the 64-bit portion of the registry" option, and this installer is run on a 32-bit OS - will the search be skipped, or will it search HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MY_KEY\MY_REG_VALUE ?

sincerely
Frode
Daniel

Hello Frode,

No, the search will not be skipped. It will search in the related registry path.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”