A.Russell

Installing Packed File

I am trying the evaluation version of Advanced installer, and am interested in the professional version.

I tried to install a packed file made with Molebox Pro. After installation the file will not run because it can't find any of its directories.

How do I set it to install file-packed files correctly?
Mike

Hi,

The installation will simply deploy the file on the target machine. If the executable fails to run this could be caused by a problem in the way the packed EXE file was created by the MoleBox utility.

Regards,
Mihai
Mihai Bobaru
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com
A.Russell

That's strange, because when my old installer, a cheap shareware program, installs this file it installs and runs without a hitch. So, with respect, I don't think it is Mole Box that is the cause.

This file is packed and compressed. Is there any setting in Advanced installer that could be affecting the file? It runs but can't find resources in any of the subdirectories.

I'd like this installer to work because I need the MSM file installation suport and there aren't too many applications like yours that do this.
Mike

Hi,

If the executable file is working then there must be a problem with the way the installation project is set up.

Advanced Installer doesn't have any setting that could affect your program.

Are the resources files packed with the EXE or outside it? In the latter case are they deployed after install in the location they are supposed to? Is the EXE file deployed in the same location?

Does your program need some registry entries or something similar in order to locate it's resources?

Regards,
Mihai
Mihai Bobaru
Advanced Installer Team
A.Russell

It seems to be something to do with the shortcut. If I try to execute the file directly itis okay, but not when clicking on the shortcut on the Start menu. This is very odd because launching it from a manually created shortcut is also okay.

The file is a directory and two sub directories that have been packed into a single .exe.
Mike

Hi,

There could be a problem with the way the working directory of the shortcut is set up. Maybe your executable requires a specific working directory in order to correctly run?

If not, what are the differences between the created shortcut and the one you created manually?

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Bobaru
Advanced Installer Team
A.Russell

Thanks Mike,

The working directory needed to be set the same as the shortcut directory.

Return to “Common Problems”