profquail

Version number cut off in bootstrapped .exe tooltip text

I've just released version 2.0.12 of our software, and I noticed a tiny bug in the bootstrapped installer .exe built by Advanced Installer. In the installer project I have the product version set to 2.0.12, and the 'Comments' text (under the Product Support Info groupbox on the Product Details screen) is set to:

Code: Select all

This installer database contains the logic and data required to install the [|Manufacturer] [|ProductName] v[|ProductVersion].
When I build the installer, then hover my cursor over the installer .exe (in Windows Explorer), the tooltip text says "This installer database contains the logic and data required to install the MyCompany MyProduct v2.0.1"; notice the version number is cutoff (it should be 2.0.12) and there's no '.' at the end of the text.

If I right-click the file and examine it's properties, the "General" tab has the correct text under "Description" and all of the information in the "Details" pane is correct. Is this just an issue with Windows Installer or Explorer (where it cuts off text in the tooltip to a certain length)? Or is it a bug in Advanced Installer?
Bogdan

Re: Version number cut off in bootstrapped .exe tooltip text

Hi,

I'm afraid this is a Windows Explorer limitation, which we cannot control. As you can see the entire text is inserted into the setup package
but Explorer will not display more than 100 characters.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
profquail

Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for the reply. I figured it was probably some issue with Windows Explorer.

If it's relatively easy, maybe you guys could have Advanced Installer emit a warning when building the project if the description string is evaluated (i.e., when you replace the variables in the description with their values) and it's longer than 100 characters.

Regards,
Jack
mihai.petcu

Hi Jack,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will forward your request to our development team and we will consider it for a future version of Advanced Installer.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”