den

Advanced Installer 8.3 Programs and Features list bug

Hello,
I discovered a small but annoying bug in Advanced Installer version 8.3, which I'm currently use.
When update for my application is installed, the previous version entry in Programs and Features list (Windows 7) doesn't remove.
When I try to delete previous version through Programs and Features, it says:
"An error occurred while trying to uninstall [My Application Name]. It may have already been uninstalled."
So it looks like previous version registry key from "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" wasn't removed during uninstall of previous version.
I have reproduced it with blank project with following steps:
1. Create new Enterprise project using wizard. Select any folder as project content, create no shortcuts and use other wizard pages default settings.
2. Product Information -> Upgrades. Set "Install new version first and then uninstall old version" radio button.
3. User Interface -> Themes. Set "Azure" (or any other Enhanced UI theme) as project UI theme on "Preview" tab, then set "Always (install, uninstall and maintenance)" radio button at "Settings" tab.
Save project and build 2 setup files with versions 1.0.0 (default) and 1.0.1 (update). Then successively install versions 1.0.0 and 1.0.1. After installation go to "Control Panel -> Programs and Features". There will be 2 entries for "Your Application" with versions 1.0.0 and 1.0.1.
Advanced Installer 8.0.x doesn't have this bug. By now I use custom action to remove registry keys of previous versions.
I hope you can fix it.
mihai.petcu

Re: Advanced Installer 8.3 Programs and Features list bug

Hi,

Indeed I can confirm this behavior, thank you for bringing it to our attention. I added the fix on our TODO list and it will be available in a future version.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
den

You are welcome!

Best regards,
Den.
mihai.petcu

Hi Den,

This issue seems to be a Windows Installer "Install new version first and then uninstall old version" upgrade type issue.

During this type of upgrade, the issue manifests only in case of registry resources, not files. The issue is that their component( same GUID between versions ) is marked to be removed but not removed, hence the duplicate.

In this particular case, the fix we will implement and only workaround it seems, is to change the GUID from one version to the next.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
den

Thank you for explanation.
It is strange that this issue manifested itself only after I start using 8.3 version.
I think changing component GUID in every new version will be painful for me.
But I already have custom action workaround anyway.

Best regards,
Den.

Return to “Common Problems”