rn-pro

Application Versions Problem

Hi,

The version 1.0 of our setup used the following “Upgrades->Application Versions”-Setting: “Automatically upgrade older product versions”. Several of our customers used already this setup and installed our application.
Next week, we’ll release the version 2.0 of the product and we’d like to offer our customers the possibility to use parallel the versions 1.0 and 2.0 or directly upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0.

It seems for me that I need to change the “Upgrades->Application Versions”-Setting to the other value: “Allow side by side installs of different product versions”. I’ve built the new version of the setup using this new setting and I’ve tried to upgrade a 1.0 installation to a 2.0 one.

The only one problem I could see was that after the upgrade in Control-Panel are both versions (1.0 and 2.0) shown. I suppose this happens because I’ve changed this “Upgrades->Application Versions”-Setting.
Is there any way I could remove this 1.0 version from the Control-Panel?

Thank you very much,
rn-pro
mihai.petcu

Re: Application Versions Problem

Hello Razvan,

The correct approach is to follow the "Allow side by side installs of different product versions" section from the Upgrades Page user guide article.
Also, please keep in mind you must build the older product version with this option enabled for the intended effect.

You can also conditionally show the UpgradeDlg.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
rn-pro

Hi Mihai,

Thank you very much for your answer!

Unfortunatelly the previous version (1.0) was delivered without the "Allow side by side installs of different product versions" option.
Could I manage somehow now to deliver the version (2.0) with the "Allow side by side installs of different product versions" option activated and correctly upgrade the installed 1.0 instances? (right now, after the upgrade, the version 1.0 is still shown in Control-Panel :( )

Thank you very much,
rn-pro
mihai.petcu

Hi Razvan,

I'm afraid the "Allow side by side installs of different product versions" option will work correctly only if the previous version was built with the same option enabled.
right now, after the upgrade, the version 1.0 is still shown in Control-Panel
Also, please keep in mind that by implementing the "Allow side by side installs of different product versions" functionality you should get this behavior.

If you always want to remove the previous version you should use "Automatically upgrade older product versions".

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”