gknierim

SQL Shared Management Objects won't install as Prerequisite

I am trying to install my package on Windows 2008 R2 server that already has SQL Server 2008 R2 installed but it doesn't have the Shared Management Objects installed. My installation package requires that it is installed as a prerequisite and that the minimum version is 10.0.1600.22. However, when I try to run the installation, it attempts to install the prerequisite silently with the /qn switch but it generates the following error:

Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Objects. Product Version: 10.0.1600.22. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 1625.

However, if I run the prerequisite manually without the /qn switch, it installs fine. Does anyone know if this msi can be run silently and what the switch is for it? I've searched all over and since it's a typical msi file, the switches are supposed to be /q or /qn, neither of which work.

Thanks,
Greg
CiprianComsa

Re: SQL Shared Management Objects won't install as Prerequis

Hi Greg,

My colleague has answered at a similar question here.

Regards,
Ciprian
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ciprian Comsa
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
Ciprian Comsa - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
gknierim

That was another similar question that I had asked but it appears that this doesn't work on Windows Server 2008 R2 but does work on Windows 7 64 bit. So, my question is basically why do the switches work on one OS and not the other?

Thanks,
Greg
CiprianComsa

Hi Greg,

You should test the package installation from a Command Prompt using /qn options.
If it does not work, you should get in touch with the package manufacturer support team.
If it is working using Command Prompt and not using Advanced Installer, please give us more details.

Regards,
Ciprian
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ciprian Comsa
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
Ciprian Comsa - Advanced Installer Team
gknierim

It appears to work on all 64 bit machines but one of the servers I have. The other post talked about using the switch /qb so I might have to give that a try as well. The /qn switch does not work as it apparently isn't a valid switch.

The /q switch does work from the command line but not from the installer on that one particular server. If I remove the switch, then the installer executes the msi with the UI which is also a possible workaround.

Thanks,
Greg
Daniel

Hello Greg,
The /q switch does work from the command line but not from the installer on that one particular server. If I remove the switch, then the installer executes the msi with the UI which is also a possible workaround.
Can you please enable the "Run as administrator" option from "Install Parameters" -> "Installation Options" group and see if the behavior still persist? If is the case, then can you please send us the .AIP (project file) and a verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”