Maverick

Windows feature activation AI 10.2

Hello ,
I am testing the new Windows feature prerequisite feature in AI 10.2. Is there a possibility to run the enable windows feature Not at the end of the setup. The reason is I have a SQLExpress Installation as a feature based prerequisite. The sqlexpress Management Studio needs .Net 3.5 to be enabled on a w2008 r2 server. So when running the setup the feature based prereqs run befor the windows feature enable sequence. I need to enable the Windows features at the beginning of the setup.

Regards

Gary
Dan

Re: Windows feature activation AI 10.2

Hello,

In order to achieve that you can add the “.Net Framework 3.5” as a pre-install prerequisite package, so it will be installed before the MSI is launched. So, you can add our “.Net Framework 3.5” predefined prerequisite from the “Prerequisites” page to your installation project.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Maverick

On a Windows 2008 R2 server you only enable a windows feature for that and do not install a package. I wanted to take advantange of the new feature, I was waiting for for some time.
Sure I can also create a helpersetup where I enable the windows feature and run the helpersetup from the mainsetup as prerequisite.
Why can the enable Windows feature not be controlled tu run before the setup or before a feature based installation. That would be a 100 % integration.

Regards

Gary
Dan

Hello,

First of all I apologize I wasn't aware about your specific scenario.

Unfortunately, for the moment the Windows feature can not be controlled to run before the setup or before a feature based installation. We'll consider adding this improvement in a future version of Advance Installer. Thank you for your suggestion.

As a work around you can create a helpsetup as you mentioned.

Best regards,
Dan
Maverick

Hello,

thanks, that would be great.

I will use the helpersetup as a workaround. I'm glad that you confirmed, that this is a possible way to do it.

Regards and thanks for your fast response (as usual ;-))
Gary
ozgekaya

Hello
Can anyone confirm this features sequence for v 11.2.1? If I turn on a windows feature will it be turned on before my prerequisites installation?

I want exactly the same thing what original poster was asking. SQL server installation is needed on Windows Server 2012 in my case..
Dan

Hello,

For the moment the Windows feature can not be controlled to run before the setup or before a feature based installation. We'll consider adding this improvement in a future version of Advance Installer. Thank you for your suggestion.

As a work around you can create a helpsetup as you mentioned. You can also take a look on the Windows Features not working? forum thread which debates a similar subject.

If you have other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
Dan
XiaoFaye

I believe you can create a custom action which runs the dism.exe (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) and put it in the very first step of your installer, it will enable the windows features you need.

more information:
Deploy .NET Framework 3.5 by using Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 82069.aspx

Return to “Building Installers”