wavering

Where are the ocx files supposed to go?

I am now seriously building an installation package to launch a VB6 based application (I messed with this about 6 months ago but now am ready to go)

I have just used the wizard as a trial and am surprised to see that it has put all of the ocx and dlls into the Application Folder! I assumed they went into System somewhere but maybe not??

A quick search through "C:\Program Files" finds quite a few ocx files and I realise that an exe file first looks for missing files in its own folder so what is best practice?

Obviously, I want this to run on XP, Win 7, Win 8 etc
Dan

Re: Where are the ocx files supposed to go?

Hello,

The file can be placed in the Files and Folders page, under "WindowsVolume -> Windows" sub-folders. Please take a look on the Folder Paths article which may be useful.

If you have other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
wavering

Right! So why did the Wizard place them in the Application Folder??
Dan

Hello,

This is the default behavior of Advanced Installer.
If you want, you can move the related files in other folders from the Files and folders page after the “Import wizard” dialogs stage is complete.

If you have other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
R.Mueller

Hi wavering,

just some side nodes:
  • it doesn't matter, where you place the ocx files, because after they are registered, they can be called from everywhere (regsvr32 myfile.ocx), so the recommended place is your installation folder (e.g. "Program Files\Manufacturer\MyProgram")
  • you should not place any files in Windows folder or below, except you know exactly what you do. If you want to get a certification from Microsoft (e.g. certified for Windows 8), you will need to pass some certification tests (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... p/hh968450). If you place some files in Windows Folder, you won't get certified.
So, to answer your question: "Where are the ocx files supposed to go?" -- into your application folder, this is exactly what the wizard did. And now you know why.

Regards,

Roland

Return to “Common Problems”